The Seaford Historical Society received a $16,000 planning grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and a matching pledge of up to $400,000 to build a new Ross Station from Mr. Ross Claiborne, the great grandson of William H.H. Ross, former governor of Delaware from 1851-1855.
Donations will be matched dollar for dollar! Please help us break ground in 2017 and celebrate history in the making!
The new Ross Station at the Governor Ross Plantation will provide the entire regional with:
- Space for educational activities and exhibits for the SHS teaching and mentoring programs for children, students, seniors, and the general public.
- A venue for society functions, business retreats, weddings, history conferences, expositions, and other community events.
- A welcome center with rest room facilities to accommodate bus tours and groups.
- Increased tours of the Ross Mansion, grounds, slave quarters, and the historic setting that the Plantation provides.
- Outdoor settings for use with tents, for photography and the opportunity to enjoy the lovely Plantation grounds.
Ross Station Site Plan
The new Ross Station is the brown building at the bottom center. The Governor Ross Mansion is to the left and north of Ross Station.
The new building will not be a replica of the original Ross Station, but will try to capture some of the architectural details of the original. Care will be taken to preserve the Grand Entrance and vistas of the drive to the Ross Mansion and the Mansion itself.
Help Us Reach Our Goal
All Gifts up to $400,000 will be matched. The Seaford Historical Society is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Gifts are tax-deductible as permitted by law.